Characters not displaying correctly in different browsers

I used certain characters in website such as • — “ ” ‘ ’ º ©. I found that when testing to see what my website looked like under different browsers (BrowserLab) the afore-mentioned characters are replaced with �.

I then changed the charset in the webpage header from:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">


<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Suddenly all the pages have the above mentioned characters replaced with a ?.

Even more puzzling is this is not always consistent across and even within the same page, as some sections display the character • and © correctly.

In particular, I need to replace the character • with one that will display across browsers, can anyone help me with the answer? Thanks.


You should save your HTML source as UTF8.

Alternatively, you can use HTML entities instead.

The source code needs to be saved in the same encoding as you're instructing the browser to parse it in. If you're saving your files in UTF-8, instruct the browser to parse it as UTF-8 by setting an appropriate HTTP header or HTML meta tag (headers preferable, your web server may be setting one without you knowing). Use a decent editor that clearly tells you what encoding you're saving the file as. If it doesn't display correctly, there's a discrepancy between what you're telling your browser the file is encoded in and what it's really encoded in.

Check to see if Apache is setup to send the charset. Look for the directive "AddDefaultCharset" and set it to Off in .htaccess or your config file.

Most/all browsers will take what is sent in the HTTP headers over what is in the document.

If you're using Notepad++, I suggest You to use Edit Plus editor to copy the text (which has the special characters) and paste it in your file. This should work.

Yes I had this problem too in notepad++ copy and pasting wasn't working with some symbols

I think SLaks is right

HTML entities for copyright symbol &#169

Need Your Help

AMD 64 bit Dual Core Optimization

opengl graphics 64bit cpu amd-processor

We have a graphics intensive application that seems to be experiencing problems on AMD 64 bit Dual Core platforms that are not apparent on Intel platforms.