Using Haskell to output a UTF-8-encoded ByteString

I'm going out of my mind trying to simply output UTF-8-encoded data to the console.

I've managed to accomplish this using String, but now I'd like to do the same with ByteString. Is there a nice and fast way to do this?

This is what I've got so far, and it's not working:

import Prelude hiding (putStr)
import Data.ByteString.Char8 (putStr, pack)

main :: IO ()
main = putStr $ pack "čušpajž日本語"

It prints out uapaj~�,�, ugh.

I'd like an answer for the newest GHC 6.12.1 best, although I'd like to hear answers for previous versions as well.

Thanks!

Update: Simply reading and outputting the same UTF-8-encoded line of text seems to work correctly. (Using Data.ByteString.Char8, I just do a putStr =<< getLine.) But packed values from inside the .hs file, as in the above example, refuse to output properly... I must be doing something wrong?

Answers


utf8-string supports bytestrings.

import Prelude hiding (putStr)
import Data.ByteString.Char8 (putStr)
import Data.ByteString.UTF8 (fromString)

main :: IO ()
main = putStr $ fromString "čušpajž日本語"

Need Your Help

Reading a web page in a foreign language with StreamReader

c# http encoding streamreader

I'm trying to fetch a web page that is a mix of English and Korean. The browser can fetch and display the page just fine, but when I try to grab it programmatically I can't get the Korean character...

how to use angular chrome debug tool to debug across iframe

angularjs debugging iframe

I have an iframe nested in my app that has an angular project in it.

About UNIX Resources Network

Original, collect and organize Developers related documents, information and materials, contains jQuery, Html, CSS, MySQL, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, objective-c, iPhone, Ruby on Rails, C, SQL Server, Ruby, Arrays, Regex, ASP.NET MVC, WPF, XML, Ajax, DataBase, and so on.