Ways to speedup Visual Studio 2010
There's been a lot of noise about Visual Studio 2010 being slower than its predecessor, VS 2008.
I was facing the same issue for the last couple weeks, and after an hour of searching around I found a couple of solutions that have made my IDE about 70% faster on most operations, including code editing.
Tools > Options -- CHECK "Show all options"
- IntelliTrace -- DISABLE
- HTML Designer -- DISABLE
50% startup speedup
Tools > Options
- Environment > Add-in/Macros Security -- UNCHECK "Allow Add-in components to load"
Tools > Extension Manager
- Uninstall all you don't need.
Restart your IDE after these and you should observe a noticeable speed increase.
Do you have any more tricks? feel free to add them as answers.
First, thanks for the tips you've provided.
Also some tips for speedup:
Tools > Options > Environment >
- Uncheck "Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance"
- then uncheck "Enable rich client visual experience".
Tools > Options > Environment > Startup:
- At startup = "Show empty environment"
Tools > Options > Source Control
- Set to "None"