git clone: fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'
I am unable to clone HTTPS repositories. I can clone SSH repos fine, but not HTTPS repos. I cannot test the GIT protocol since I am behind a corporate firewall.
This is what I am trying to do:
$ git clone https://github.com/nvie/gitflow.git Cloning into gitflow... fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'
I have so far tried the following (based on Google searches)
- Purging and installing Git through apt-get
- Installing build-deps for Git through apt-get
- Installing curl dev libraries
- Installing expat libraries
- Downloading Git source and building using:
- ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-curl --with-expat
- Also tried pointing configure at curl binary (./configure --prefix=/usr --with-curl=/usr/bin/curl)
I have tried everything I can find on the internet with no luck. Can anyone help me?
Git version = 188.8.131.52
OS = Ubuntu 11.04
It looks like not having (lib)curl-devel installed when you compile git can cause this.
If you install (lib)curl-devel, and then rebuild/install git, this should solve the problem:
$ yum install curl-devel $ # cd to wherever the source for git is $ cd /usr/local/src/git-1.7.9 $ ./configure $ make $ make install
This worked for me on Centos 6.3.
If you don't have yum, you can download the source to curl-devel here:
If you are running Ubuntu instead:
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev