URN Logo
announcement The content of this page is collected from Linux Forum, All copyrights and other associated rights are reserved by the original authors of the articles.
Resources
China Linux Forum(finished)
Linux Forum(finished)
FreeBSD China(finished)
linuxforum.com
  LinuxForum General Chat
  Linux Advocacy
  LinuxForum Polls
  Introductions
  Linux Kernel Support
  Patch Management
  Development Release
  Linux Programming
  Linux Security
  Linux Software
  Linux Hardware Problems
    Linux Video Problems
    Linux Sound Problems
  Linux Networking Support
  Linux Printing Support
  Linux Human Interface Devices Support
  Linux Data Storage Support
  Linux Applications Support
  Linux Installation Support
  Linux Laptops Support
  Linux Motherboard, Chipsets, CPU, Memory
  Miscellaneous
  Debian Linux Support
  Ubuntu Linux Support
  LiveCD Discussions
  Gentoo Linux Support
  Mandrake Linux Support
  Redhat / Fedora Linux Support
  Slackware Linux Support
  SuSE Linux Support
  CentOS Linux Support
  Linux Web Servers
  Linux DNS Servers
  Linux Database Servers
  Linux Email Servers
  Linux FTP Servers
  Linux Squid Proxy Server
  Linux Samba Help
  Linux cPanel Help
  Linux Ensim Help
  Linux Plesk Help
  Linux Webmin / Usermin Help
  Qmail Toaster Help
  Linux Games
  Windows Game Emulation
  Linux Discussions
  General Linux Discussions
  Red Hat Linux Discussions
  More Red Hat Linux Discussions
  Mandrake Linux Discussions
  Slackware Linux Discussions
  SuSE Linux Discussions
  Debian Discussions
  Samba Help
  Linux Security
  Linux Networking
  Gentoo Help
  Operating System Rant Forum
  Hardware Rants

Total Beginner - Totally Lost (sis)
Subject: Total Beginner - Totally Lost (sis)
Author: davetowner    Posted: 2004-04-05 09:52:28    Length: 1,274 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Hey you linux guys,

I am a total beginner with linux and have always been a windows guy until yesterday i thought i would see what linux was like, i was very impressed but its a whole different world.  The linux installation was simple enough and it picked up on all my hardware with the excpetion of my ADSL modem and my sound card.

The modem can wait for now, but i would like to get my sound working.  Apparently i have a SiS7012 sound card on my Asus P4s533-x motherboard and have found a driver for it from http://driver2.sis.com/linux/7012/ but i have NO idea how to install the driver.

i am at a total loss - could anyone give me instructions for a complete beginner who has no idea about linux about how i go about installing the driver.  i have no idea about the linux lingo either.  please help.

Oh and im running RedHat Linux V9.

thanks for any help you can give me.

davetowner@dsl.pipex.com - pooface1978@hotmail.com

Dave blink.gif
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: godsdog    Posted: 2004-04-07 16:55:43    Length: 146 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Installing files is dependent on what type of file it is.
Post the full name of the file.
Is it an .rpm or maybe .tgz or bzip2 or ....?
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: davetowner    Posted: 2004-04-07 17:26:34    Length: 1,098 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
im pullin my hair out here - damn this linux, why cant it be as simple as windows!!

i have downloaded an archive file and extracted it to a floppy, then copied the floppy to my home directory in linux "/home/davetowner"

i have sooo many problems, the instructions i got from :
http://driver2.sis.com/linux/7012/Readme.txt

dont seem to work, for example, the instructions state:

4>  Genertae soundcore and ac97_codec module
"make soundcore.o"
"make ac97_codec.o"

when i enter this i just get errors stating im missing rules, but im copying the text exactly

also im instructed to copy sis7012.o to the module directory, but i cant - i just get told i dont have permission - access denied.  why is my access denied there are no other users and i have the adminastors password.

please some shed some light here as im rapidly being put off linux and i dont want to be.

[Original] [Print] [Top]