URN Logo
The content of this page is collected from Linux Forum, All copyrights and other associated rights are reserved by the original authors of the articles.
Resources
China Linux Forum(finished)
Linux Forum(finished)
FreeBSD China(finished)
linuxforum.com
  LinuxForum General Chat
  Linux Advocacy
  LinuxForum Polls
  Introductions
  Linux Kernel Support
  Patch Management
  Development Release
  Linux Programming
  Linux Security
  Linux Software
  Linux Hardware Problems
    Linux Video Problems
    Linux Sound Problems
  Linux Networking Support
  Linux Printing Support
  Linux Human Interface Devices Support
  Linux Data Storage Support
  Linux Applications Support
  Linux Installation Support
  Linux Laptops Support
  Linux Motherboard, Chipsets, CPU, Memory
  Miscellaneous
  Debian Linux Support
  Ubuntu Linux Support
  LiveCD Discussions
  Gentoo Linux Support
  Mandrake Linux Support
  Redhat / Fedora Linux Support
  Slackware Linux Support
  SuSE Linux Support
  CentOS Linux Support
  Linux Web Servers
  Linux DNS Servers
  Linux Database Servers
  Linux Email Servers
  Linux FTP Servers
  Linux Squid Proxy Server
  Linux Samba Help
  Linux cPanel Help
  Linux Ensim Help
  Linux Plesk Help
  Linux Webmin / Usermin Help
  Qmail Toaster Help
  Linux Games
  Windows Game Emulation
  Linux Discussions
  General Linux Discussions
  Red Hat Linux Discussions
  More Red Hat Linux Discussions
  Mandrake Linux Discussions
  Slackware Linux Discussions
  SuSE Linux Discussions
  Debian Discussions
  Samba Help
  Linux Security
  Linux Networking
  Gentoo Help
  Operating System Rant Forum
  Hardware Rants

RH9 Linux, Asus P4PE: No sound!
Subject: RH9 Linux, Asus P4PE: No sound!
Author: Vikas Agnihotri    Posted: 2003-06-25 15:41:48    Length: 1,868 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I installed RH9 (Shrike) on a Asus P4PE motherboard-based system. The P4PE
has the onboard sound chip with the AC97 codec (Intel 82801DB ACH4).

I launched KDE's Sound and Multimedia, Souncard detection and it properly
detected the soundcard (i810_audio), but when I click the the Play test
sound button, nothing comes out of the speakers.

My (stereo) speakers are connected to each other and have just one jack. I
connected this jack to the line-out (green) on the P4PE back-panel. Is this
right? Or is it supposed to go into the pink (mic) connector?

Just for kicks, I installed the www.opensound.com drivers and it worked! I
could hear the /usr/local/lib/osstest sound thru the speakers!

But, of course, www.opensound.com is a eval version and it expired shortly
so I uninstalled it.

Isnt the RH9 kernel (2.4.20-8) supposed to support the AC97 onboard sound?

Anyway, I proceeded to download the latest ALSA stuff from
http://freshrpms.net and followed the instructions there to install.

Still no go. No errors in 'dmesg' during boot or when I 'play something.au'
but the speakers are silent!

Actually, just after booting when I look at 'dmesg' it doesnt have any
sound stuff at all, but 'lsmod' does show the snd-* modules and soundcore.
Is this possible?

Yes, I did unmute the MIC and Headphone using 'amixer', anything else I
need to unmute?

I am getting really frustrated. So close (with the opensound.com eval
drivers) and yet so far!

Is P4PE onboard sound supposed to work with vanilla RH9? Do I even need to
mess with the ALSA drivers?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Yossarian    Posted: 2003-06-25 16:55:20    Length: 2,512 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
"Vikas Agnihotri" [fornewsgroups@vikas.mailshell.com] wrote in message
QUOTE
[...]

Sometimes mike out works when speaker out doesn't. Be careful don't blow it
out with the wrong plug!

Yossarian
QUOTE

Author: kurt    Posted: 2003-06-25 22:35:50    Length: 928 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Vikas Agnihotri wrote:

QUOTE

Yes, I did unmute the MIC and Headphone using 'amixer', anything else I
need to unmute?

For my RH8/KDE install I count at least four volume controls that have
to be turned up in order to get anything from the speakers when playing
a CD:

1. On the speakers
2. On the kscd CD player panel (software) that I use
3. Gnome Volume Control
4. KDE sound mixer (kmix ?)

The latter two are in the RH menu under "Sound & Video".  I just turn
everything up all the way except the Gnome Volume Control and that's the
only one I adjust.

I suppose I should uninstall kmix, but since it ain't broke ...

HTH
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: tweester    Posted: 2003-06-27 15:37:09    Length: 1,245 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
"kurt" [kurt@nowhere.noplace.com] ha scritto nel messaggio
Yes, I did unmute the MIC and Headphone using 'amixer', anything else I
need to unmute?

For my RH8/KDE install I count at least four volume controls that have
to be turned up in order to get anything from the speakers when playing
a CD:

1. On the speakers
2. On the kscd CD player panel (software) that I use
3. Gnome Volume Control
4. KDE sound mixer (kmix ?)

The latter two are in the RH menu under "Sound & Video".  I just turn
everything up all the way except the Gnome Volume Control and that's the
only one I adjust.

I suppose I should uninstall kmix, but since it ain't broke ...

HTH

You must connect audio-box/amplifiers to the pink connector of the ON-board
audio card.
Linux enable 5.1 and audio output is redirect to the pink connector.
Bye from Italy.
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Keith Clark    Posted: 2003-06-27 17:08:36    Length: 711 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
tweester wrote:

QUOTE
"kurt" [kurt@nowhere.noplace.com] ha scritto nel messaggio
everything up all the way except the Gnome Volume Control and that's the
only one I adjust.

Does anyone besides me hear obvious distortion if you turn up the volume
controls all the way and just use the Gnome volume control?

I'm using a Soundblaster PCI 128 if that matters...

--Keith
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Robert Pendell    Posted: 2003-10-04 19:14:47    Length: 2,881 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Vikas Agnihotri wrote:
QUOTE
[...]

I have been able to get the that soundchip to work with the default
supplied drivers in RH9 but of-course, they appear to not support
everything.  I had to increase the volume level to hear anything at all.
  I have replaced the drivers with the ALSA drivers rpm files supplied
at http://www.freshrpms.net.  Try that.  Follow their instructions and
they will refer you back to http://www.alsa-project.org a couple of
placed but follow it and it will work.  You will need to recompile the
kernel module since there is none for 2.40.20-8 but that isn't really a
big deal.  Make sure you do it as root.
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Martin    Posted: 2003-10-06 05:29:01    Length: 1,108 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Robert Pendell wrote:
QUOTE
Vikas Agnihotri wrote:
I installed RH9 (Shrike) on a Asus P4PE motherboard-based system.
The
P4PE has the onboard sound chip with the AC97 codec (Intel 82801DB
ACH4).

I launched KDE's Sound and Multimedia, Souncard detection and it
properly detected the soundcard (i810_audio), but when I click the
the Play test sound button, nothing comes out of the speakers.

My (stereo) speakers are connected to each other and have just one
jack. I connected this jack to the line-out (green) on the P4PE
back-panel. Is this right? Or is it supposed to go into the pink
(mic) connector?

At least with Mandrake 9.1, you need to plug the speakers into the mic
socket. Not as daft as it sounds, as when the AC97 is used for 5.1
sound in Windows, you use all the jacks for outputs...

Regards

Martin
[Original] [Print] [Top]