URN Logo
announcement The content of this page is collected from Linux Forum, All copyrights and other associated rights are reserved by the original authors of the articles.
Resources
China Linux Forum(finished)
Linux Forum(finished)
FreeBSD China(finished)
linuxforum.com
  LinuxForum General Chat
  Linux Advocacy
  LinuxForum Polls
  Introductions
  Linux Kernel Support
  Patch Management
  Development Release
  Linux Programming
  Linux Security
  Linux Software
  Linux Hardware Problems
    Linux Video Problems
    Linux Sound Problems
  Linux Networking Support
  Linux Printing Support
  Linux Human Interface Devices Support
  Linux Data Storage Support
  Linux Applications Support
  Linux Installation Support
  Linux Laptops Support
  Linux Motherboard, Chipsets, CPU, Memory
  Miscellaneous
  Debian Linux Support
  Ubuntu Linux Support
  LiveCD Discussions
  Gentoo Linux Support
  Mandrake Linux Support
  Redhat / Fedora Linux Support
  Slackware Linux Support
  SuSE Linux Support
  CentOS Linux Support
  Linux Web Servers
  Linux DNS Servers
  Linux Database Servers
  Linux Email Servers
  Linux FTP Servers
  Linux Squid Proxy Server
  Linux Samba Help
  Linux cPanel Help
  Linux Ensim Help
  Linux Plesk Help
  Linux Webmin / Usermin Help
  Qmail Toaster Help
  Linux Games
  Windows Game Emulation
  Linux Discussions
  General Linux Discussions
  Red Hat Linux Discussions
  More Red Hat Linux Discussions
  Mandrake Linux Discussions
  Slackware Linux Discussions
  SuSE Linux Discussions
  Debian Discussions
  Samba Help
  Linux Security
  Linux Networking
  Gentoo Help
  Operating System Rant Forum
  Hardware Rants

devices not available (not present in /dev): parallel port, printer po
Subject: devices not available (not present in /dev): parallel port, printer po
Author: alt.religion.albertanism    Posted: 2003-10-21 07:58:07    Length: 1,995 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I have installed Gentoo recently and had few configuration problems with
it (X server, KDE, CD recording, other). I learn Gentoo and i managed to
solve the problems somehow so far.

I even installed CUPS and managed to select a printer. But i still cannot
print. I noticed that there are no devices in the /dev directory
representing parallel port or printer port, like /dev/lp0
There is also no /dev/fd0 device for a floppy drive so i have no access to
my floppy either.

When i boot my Knoppix on the same HDD the /dev directory contains many
different devices, also lp0 and fd0 so under Knoppix i can print and
access the floppy.

I browsed thru some documentation, but failed to find any hint about how
am i supposed to solve the problem and install the devices manually in the
/dev directory.

Searching the manuals i found 'mknod' command available, but i have never
used that and have no experience. I only guess this command could have
something in common with creating devices in system.

I compiled the kernel and there was 'parallel port support' selected.

I kindly ask for some suggestions, hints, links about what i made wrong
installing Gentoo, how to get parallel printer port in Gentoo, are there
any tools etc.

I installed several distributions before and had never such problems -
installers detected my devices and ports and made appropriate
files/devices in the /dev directory. My Knoppix distribution made that all
automatically. I noticed that the /dev devices in Gentoo differ from those
in other distributions of Linux.

Thank you in advance. Greetings!
--
Albert Jacher, Religer, Speaker of God, Holy Prophet
www.albertanism.freezope.org | www.religer.da.ru
www.albertanism.freezope.org/en/com/usenet.html  ./contact.html

[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Patrick Guels    Posted: 2003-10-21 12:31:42    Length: 223 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
just a quick guess. did you check the parts of the
`gentoo linux installation instructions' dealing
with the `/dev' filesystem? there is also kernel
support needed for this...

patrick

[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Jon Portnoy    Posted: 2003-10-21 13:39:43    Length: 314 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Gentoo by default uses devfs.

Check /dev/floppy/0 and /dev/printers/0

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net #gentoo, irc.oftc.net #cola

[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: alt.religion.albertanism    Posted: 2003-10-21 17:11:23    Length: 1,362 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:39:43 +0000, in